Friday 27 April 2012

So I started my first day of actual work on Thursday, and just finished my second day today.
A few little hickups, trying to find where places are. Finding the streets/roads/parades/courts/etc isn't too hard, but it often takes a little bit of figuring out to find the building I need to go to because often the numbers are hard to spot or they don't exist on the particular building at all. And sometimes it's hard finding the right room within the building to go to. I'm starting to learn how to find the mailrooms and the delivery/pickup stations that many buildings have, though. All very interesting! With a bit more practice, I'm sure I won't have much trouble finding where to go in the future.

I was using my phone as a GPS which wasn't a very good idea. It works quite well, but it takes a while to enter in the place names, you don't tend to learn how to get to the streets/roads as well, it runs out of battery in a few hours, and on the odd occasion it wastes your time by taking you to the wrong place - I once put in 'Yarra Street Sth Melb' meaning Yarra Street South Melbourne. It took me to Yarra Street in Melbourne, when Yarra Street in Melbourne is 14 minutes away from there.
So I've resorted to using my Melways, which is much more reliable and will get me learning more of the streets leading towards my destination, as well as slowly building a partial map of Melbourne in my head.

I'm really enjoying the job, and I'm getting used to it already - I feel much less tired today than I did at the end of yesterday. It's such a great job for someone like me to be doing, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment